1st International lied composition contest
In order to encourage the creation, interpretation and dissemination of new musical works, the Sond'Arte Electric Ensemble is promoting, in partnership with the Casa de Mateus Foundation and blablaLab Associação Cultural, the 1st edition of the "Lied Alvaro García de Zúñiga - Casa de Mateus - Sond'ar-te Composition Contest".
GENERAL RULES DEADLINE
Jury: Iris ter Schiphorst, Philippe Leroux and Miguel Azguime - The competition is open to composers of any nationality.
- Each competitor may submit up to 2 compositions, provided they are for a different combination of voice & instrument.
- The works submitted must not have been premiered, published commercially or won prizes in any national or international competition.
- The length of the composition must be between 7 and 15 minutes.
- The score must be written in music notation software and submitted as a pdf file.
- The application with the complete set of materials (see below) must be submitted by midnight on 2024-03-21 to the following email address: email@example.com.
Every two years, a committee made up of representatives from the three partner organisations: the Sond'Ar-te Electric Ensemble, the Casa de Mateus Foundation and the blablaLab Cultural Association, proposes a choice of authors and/or texts from which the composition could be written. In 2024, the choice of texts will focus on the work of Alvaro García de Zúñiga.
The proposed texts can be consulted on the websites of the three partner organisations: www.sondarte.com www.blablalab.net www.casademateus.com
The compositions submitted must be written for a duo, in an obligatory combination of 1 voice and 1 instrument, chosen between soprano and the 5 instruments listed below, with or without electronics (fixed on support or live electronics).
- The use of instruments other than the piano is favoured: Soprano + Flute (can also double as piccolo or alto flute) or Clarinet in Bb (can also double in A, Eb, or bass clarinet) or Violin or Cello or Piano (can also double keyboards/synthesisers);
- The electronic component of the submitted composition, fixed on support or live electronics, can use a maximum of one four-channel speaker system;
- the use of the following DAWs: Digital Performer, Reaper;
- the use of the interactive applications Max/MSP or Supercollider - all operable on Mac OS. Any additional software and/or plug-ins must be able to run on Mac OS;
- te composition must be freeware and must be supplied by the competitor.
All applications to the competition must include the following materials and information:
- The score (in .pdf format); the electronic part in a compressed folder and sent to the same e-mail address as above by WeTransfer or similar file transfer system (pre-recorded material and/or final version of live processing patches, ready for performance and including all necessary instructions for setup and performance);
- Description / programme notes of the submitted work (up to 500 words);
- Year of composition;
- A precise estimate of the duration of the work.
- A brief biography (up to 500 words);
- A recent photo (preferably in jpeg);
- Postal address, e-mail address, website;
- Copy of identification document;
- All necessary information/documentation relevant to the Jury's consideration.
SELECTION & PRIZE
The jury will select 3 works to be performed in concert. The results of the selection of the 3 finalist works will be announced by 15 May 2024 at www.sondarte.com. The composer(s) of the selected works will be contacted by email. The selected works will be performed by the soloists of the Sond'Ar-te Electric Ensemble in 2024, AT THE CASA DE MATEUS FOUNDATION, on a date to be announced. The composers of the selected works will be invited to the rehearsals and concert. From among the 3 works selected and performed, the jury will choose and announce the winning work at the end of the concert. The winning composer will receive a prize of €2,500.
The winning work, as well as the other 2 works selected and performed in concert, will be included on a CD by the Sond'Ar-te Electric Ensemble.
RIGHTS ASSIGNED TO SOND'AR-TE ELECTRIC ENSEMBLE
a) The right to premiere the work, without payment of additional royalties for its premiere;
b) The permanent right to perform the work;
c) The right to record the work in its entirety for the purposes of publishing, distribution and promotion, in any format. d) Exclusivity in the recording of the work and its dissemination during the 2 years following the première of the work, except under particular circumstances of interpretation requested by the AUTHOR and ACCEPTED in writing by SOND'AR-TE ELECTRIC ENSEMBLE;
e) Exclusivity in the interpretation of the work during the 2 years following the premiere of the work, except under particular circumstances of interpretation requested by the AUTHOR and ACCEPTED in writing by SOND'AR-TE ELECTRIC ENSEMBLE;
f) Exclusivity on the first disc edition of the work and its distribution, in any format or medium (physical or digital) by Miso Records during the 2 years following the release of the work;
g) The rights to publish and distribute the recording of the work performed by SOND'AR-TE ELECTRIC ENSEMBLE are permanent.
The jury's decision is final. The jury reserves the right not to award any prize. When the prize is awarded, a receipt must be issued.
The Sond'Ar-te Electric Ensemble reserves the right to change the rules if circumstances so require. Participation in the competition implies full knowledge and acceptance of these regulations.