Protonwerk No. 14 - Video Art & New Music, application for composers
Protonwerk is the platform for contemporary music, created by Ensemble Proton Bern. With the support of Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia we have been working together to inspire the upcoming generation of composers early on in their professional careers. Those interested can apply to receive a commission to write a new work for one of the annual Protonwerk concerts.
- Applications are accepted from composers who have completed their initial education in composition no longer than five years ago;
- If possible, we will award around half of the commissions to composers of Swiss nationality or who live in Switzerland;
- Instrumentation: 8 musicians (flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, harp, synthesizer, violin, violoncello), without conductor;
- Duration of 10 minutes;
- Fee of 2000 Swiss Francs, no further expenses covered.
- Closing date for applications is 15th October 2023;
- The outcome will be notified late November 2023;
- Obligatory participation in the Protonwerk-workshop in late 2024 (in special cases via Skype etc.);
- Deadline for Protonwerk No. 14 commissions: 1st December 2024;
- The concert Protonwerk No. 14 will take place in early 2025, performed by Ensemble Proton Bern.
- Two (2) existing scores for chamber music settings (no solo pieces or orchestral works) with audio recording. At least 1 work which must be related to visual arts (video, performance, dance, visual art, etc.);
- concept for a composition with video art;
- CV (max 2 pages);
- Application fee of 20.00 Swiss Francs;
- Applications can be submitted only via the online platform 442hz;
- Closing date for applications is 15th October 2023.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Application fee: 20.00 CHF
The closing date for applications is 15.10.2023.
Since the beginning, Ensemble Proton Bern has launched a Protonwerk "special" every other year. While the "normal" editions are dedicated to contemporary music, the ensemble puts the focus on cross-disciplinary arts in these other editions. Protonwerk No. 14 wants to discover the exciting interaction between video art and contemporary music. To this end, we are simultaneously running two calls for scores and videos (composition & video art). The selected composers will have the opportunity to choose from a short list of different art videos they would like to set to music.